The U.S. Census Bureau on May 12, 2011 released the Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 for Ohio. The demographic profiles provide 2010 Census data on age and sex distributions, race, Hispanic or Latino origin, household relationship and type, the group quarters population, and housing occupancy and tenure (whether the housing occupant owns or rents).
The profile includes more than 150 data items in all, plus percentage distributions. Highlights for Ohio and OVRDC include:
- The total population was 11,536,504.
- The median age was 38.8.
- The average household size was 2.44 people per household.
- Among the state’s occupied housing units, 67.6 percent were owned, compared with 32.4 percent that were rented.
- The total population was 669,694.
- The median age was 39.5.
- The average household size was 2.53 people per household.
- Among OVRDC Region’s occupied housing units, 71.9 percent were owned, compared with 28.1 percent that were rented.
Accessing the Data
The demographic profiles can be found on the Census Bureau’s American FactFinder website at
A summary file version of the profile data is also available for users who want to download the data set for all of the geographies within the state and run their own analysis and rankings. The summary file contains two parts: a file with the geographic headers (in fixed-length ASCII format) and the data file (in comma-separated ASCII format). The summary file is available for download at
Download Demographic Profiles for OVRDC Region in PDF Format